Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best waves december 2010  (Read 1273 times)
rork
« on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:00 pm »

'While surfing the web sometimes I hit a very interesting insight or technique, in a monthly recurring series I'll list those items for others to use. In an analogy to surfing I'll call these "Best waves". See it as an attempt to share information, crank up the number of monthly posts and help Google rank pages. Subjects will be computers, games, linux, open source software and web development. Sources will be news sites, (planet) weblogs, magazines and podcasts.

Since I'm starting the series now I didn't really collect links during the month but there are still a couple of items I like to share. They are about software design, setting up ubuntu updates on a home network and a play.

Aurélien started a series about Common user interface mistakes in KDE apps (part 1, part 2) which focuses on improving the first impression of KDE. He advocates using a default lay-out and window size that makes sense and make use of as much as space as possible. Besides KDE the practices he describes are valid for every piece of software, especially his remarks on dialogs can easily be taken towards HTML form design.

Popey wrote about caching ubuntu packages. He uses squid-deb-proxy to download ubuntu updates for his various computers trough a central home server instead of having to download the packages for each machine/reinstall separately or mirroring the entire repository. The home server will download new packages and store them, the updating computers will then retrieve the packages from the home server. I currently have 4 machines running ubuntu at my parents house and currently copy packages directly to the apt cache to prevent downloading. Using squid-deb-proxy looks very interesting.

Ubuntu UK podcast released the final episode of season 3: S03E23 - Departure of an old man. Besides news, updates and information it contains a special version of Jack and the Beanstalk filled with geek references.

Ivanka Majic wrote an article about API design. It's a list of best practices for API design to make it comprehensable for other programmers. I'm working on an API like structure for UTStats and already knew I didn't stick to some of them while working on it. It's going to take a couple of days to clean up that stuff.

Finally I had a short conversation with shane4ubuntu in #kubuntu-offtopic on irc. He was looking for ways to compress a 4GB file and came up with RAR which brought the file down to 1.1GB, tar.bz had almost the same compression rate but was way slower. I was happy to suggest  7z which besides compressing the file to 1GB is an open source format. This might be a source for a future blog post.'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: